Friday, November 18, 2011

Old Looks Anew! : Period makeup





It's been said, if you don't know your past you are doomed to repeat it. Well in the case of beauty, being doomed isn't so bad! Over the years many artist (music and makeup) pull inspiration from old Hollywood starlets. These references often go lost on those who aren't familiar with looks from the past but are directly effected by the trends they create. In order to help you guys out with a few references, I've decided to use Beyonce.Beyonce is one of this generations iconic musical artist. She's been known for her chameleon like changes between albums but I know her best for her constant references to classic period makeup looks.......it's a personal hobby of mine. I'll share a few of my favorites with you (I have dozens)!

Up top you'll see a head nod to the 1920's. I used Clara bow (actress) to show the similarities between looks. Notice the down turned over extended brow along with the dark lip and cupids bow. This is a classic look with an updated twist executed to perfection!

The 1950's were used for inspiration in the photo next to Dorothy Dandridge. Notice the sharp arch of the brow defined to a point. In the photo, Dorothy Dandridge has a soft winged liner and defined brow where Beyonce is sporting an exaggerated winged/Doe tip liner for the eye. An updated trick to an old trend.

The 1960's were an explosion of creativity and color! Elizabeth Taylor's performance as Cleopatra in 1963 was an updated look from the Egyptian era and was used as inspiration in 2007 for Alexander Mcqueen's collection for MAC. Beyonce took inspiration in 2008 and used it as a catalyst for her "I am Sasha fierce" album. It's a very beautiful strong eye with a pop of color and light lip.
The sixties also spawned a wave of spider lashes and rounded cut creases to give the eye more of a rounded effect. Beyonce looks fab in this Twiggy inspired look and also has my favorite brow look for her to date. Kim Kardashian is bringing this look back with her use of spider lashes for her red carpet appearances.

I love finding inspiration in all things but digging into the past can prove to be quite inspirational. My next stop shall be to raid my mothers closet. She has clothes in there that are well over 30 years old. (Don't judge) lol

What are some of your favorite updates from past looks?

5 comments:

  1. Rashida "The Glam Doctor" WilliamsNovember 19, 2011 at 12:04 PM

    this was a great post Nicole.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "The Glam Doctor", I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love how you used a modern day musical icon. Easy to understand! And references to the inspiration of the past solidified this awesome (history) makeup lesson!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Booski! I will be looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete